Has A Time of Grace woken your interest in the 1930s? Or in Rhode Island? Many of the “little incidents” in the Trilogy were inspired by actual, first-person stories that have been told to me – such as that of Grace cutting out cardboard inserts for her shoes – but other things come from articles and books that I’ve used along the way. I’d love to share with you just a few resources and links to get you started on learning more about this fascinating time period!
For some background on Rhode Island:
- Rhode Island: A Brief History by Earl C. Tanner
- North Providence, Rhode Island by Thomas E. Greene and Barbara A. Greene – This is part of the Images of America series. Highly recommended, but once you start reading them, you won’t be able to stop!
For historical medical information:
- Kill or Cure: An Illustrated History of Medicine by Steve Parker
- Seeking the Cure: A History of Medicine in America by Ira Rutkow
- The Medical Book by Clifford A. Pickover
And a few links (some fun, some informative, some both!):
- “The Great Depression and the Rise of the Refrigerator”
- “The Cost of Living in 1938”
- “Depression America Goes to the Horses”
- “But the Children Are Earning”
- “Did the Catholic Church Forbid Bible Reading?”
- “Ethnic Shops versus Chain Stores: Retailing among Italian Americans in Providence in the Interwar Years”